Monday 15 July UK News feed. DOCTORS have grafted a six-year-old girl's big toe on to her hand to replace a thumb which had to be amputated after being burnt by a severe electric shock. Stephanie Abraham underwent the surgery at Birmingham's Diana, Princess of Wales Children's Hospital where she was recovering yesterday and said to be "delighted" with her new digit. Stephanie, from West Bromwich, West Midlands, was injured two years ago when she touched a live lamppost cable near her home. Police praised her brother, Lee, 12, who dragged her free by her clothing, saying his prompt action probably saved his sister's life. After the accident doctors at Sandwell Hospital, West Midlands, tried but failed to save the badly-burnt thumb, leaving the girl with limited manual dexterity.
Thumb arthritis: What to know
Woman, 20, has thumb amputated after NAIL BITING habit 'causes skin cancer'
IN the days of the great King Arthur there lived a mighty magician, called Merlin, the most learned and skilful enchanter the world has ever seen. This famous magician, who could take any form he pleased, was travelling about as a poor beggar, and being very tired he stopped at the cottage of a ploughman to rest himself, and asked for some food. The countryman bade him welcome, and his wife, who was a very good-hearted woman, soon brought him some milk in a wooden bowl, and some coarse brown bread on a platter. Merlin was much pleased with the kindness of the ploughman and his wife; but he could not help noticing that though everything was neat and comfortable in the cottage they both seemed to be very unhappy. He therefore asked them why they were so melancholy, and learned that they were miserable because they had no children.
Woman, 20, had thumb amputated after NAIL BITING habit ’caused skin cancer’
Courtney Whithorn started biting her nails after being bullied at school - and her habit became so bad she bit her thumb nail completely off in The now year-old soon noticed her thumb started to turn black, but managed to keep it hidden from her friends and family for four years. The psychology student was eventually diagnosed with a rare cancer, acral lentiginous subungual melanoma, which may be linked to the severe trauma biting off her thumb nail caused.
For hundreds of years husbands have cited an old Common Law i. For hundreds of years it was thought to be the law of the land by both sexes, most especially among the poor most of whom were of course illiterate and relied on hearsay and oral tradition for what small legal knowledge they possessed. Some judges and magistrates also believed that men had this right in Common Law and so, although they personally frowned upon violence against wives, they tended to be lenient with the violent husband.